Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Plateau State: Center of Peace and Tourism

Well we have arrived safely in Jos thanks to many prayers and God's protection. He guided us smoothly on the journey over, straight through customs and down the highway to Abuja. I have officially fallen in love with Nigeria and as they would say here, I have drank the water.

The driving is by far the most entertaining part. Everyone here honks and flashes their brights in order to go anywhere. My father's good friend and driver, Bitrus, drove us around and the best way he could describe the drivers was, "They are very rude." Once we in Jos, the motorcycles swarmed the roads and it became nearly impossible to drive around them.

We have met so many people, all of which are completely warm and welcoming. The traditional Hausa greeting is 'Sanu', which I am growing accustomed to saying. I still have not become used to people saying, 'You are welcome.' In every conversation, it is probably said in almost every sentence.

Derek, Colin, and I have had the great opportunity to travel to Benin City to work with a man named Bola at a university and gather more information for NIFES' student ministry (they are the equivalent of InterVarsity in the US). Please pray for safe travel, it is about ten hours to the south of Jos. Also pray that our communication with the students be clear and we gather all of the information needed.

I tried to post some pictures but it didn't work. I will try again the next time I am on; pictures can give a better picture than I can describe. Thank you again for your prayers and support. I am growing every day I am here and am so thankful for the opportunity.

No comments: