Friday, July 18, 2008

Children...God's Gift to Me!

First of all, I apologize for not posting anything for the past week. Lets just say I fell into a routine and then fell ill, both of which didn't allow me to spend time updating my blog. Thanks for checking anyway. I believe that my last post was about my time at EMS. We ended there on a Wednesday and I can honestly say that I was very sad to go. I feel that I was definitely there to help not just the children but the teacher as well. I walked away knowing that I had improved their lives, at least for a couple weeks. By the last couple days the teacher had me doing everything, which I in turn was grateful for because I could take the time to make sure they understood what we were reviewing. I spent a whole day on telling time and I know at least some of them could show me what 'quarter to and 'quarter past' meant. I think it was one of the first times that they could draw on the board and not feel like they were doing something wrong. I had them drawing clocks all over the place and they loved every minute! Two boys especially soaked up the extra attention I was willing to give-Elisha and Samino. Elisha was very outspoken and we practiced with an actual clock sans the batteries. He kept saying, "Aunty! Give me one that will really make me think! One that I do not know the answer!" So I would ask him to show me times like 7:37 and three minutes to three. He would just giggle and say, "Aunty! That was a good one!" Samino on the other hand was very soft spoken but so smart. Every single question I asked he would work through silently and then shyly ask me if he had come up with the correct answer. If Africans could blush I think he turned ten shades of red with my praises! My last day there we reviewed science and I brought them all candy to coax the answers out of them. Although none was really needed it was still fun to see them chomp on taffy and gum. When I bought the candy at this little hut, the lady couldn't understand the word candy (they call all candy, cake, cookie, etc sweets) and she kept bringing me candles. Finally I pointed to some gum and she understood-hence giving eighteen children chewing gum instead of Twix! The best part about the last day was right before I left, the teacher had them all pray for me. So I watched each child get on his/her knees and thank God for my life. The teacher then prayed out loud and thanked the Lord for my time there and what a blessing I was to their lives, especially hers. Man, talk about being choked up! I was truly sad to walk out the door and leave them all but I know my time was well spent.

The next couple days we were with our American friends and the orphans they work with through an orphanage called CLAF. Thursday and Fridays are more hands on there so we took them to Leatherworks (where they make shoes, purses, etc out of leather) and the pool (yes they have pools in Africa!). Leatherworks was funny because the man who gave us the tour used very big words, some of which I didn't even understand. He would then ask them review questions and every kid would just stare at him blankly. I prayed quietly that he wouldn't call on me because I really had no idea what he was talking about! What I did catch was the smell...of chicken feces. They use it to clean off any extra feathers or hair on the hides/skins (there is a difference!) and let it soak to 'process'. Eeewww! I'm sure the pile of rotting excess skin and hair didn't help the matter. They were all so well behaved and each child held an adults hand. It was too sweet! I had one girl on each arm and they literally didn't let go until we got to the shop where they could touch things.
We had the boys (all seven of them) spend the night on Thursday night which was nothing short of fantastic. Jason (Emily & Jason are the missionaries who live here from Cincinnati) had the whole night planned to the minute. First, a game of football. I think that goes without say here. Second, a game of Tug-a-War. That was awesome to watch! At first they couldn't quite see the fun in pulling a rope as hard as they could away from the other team. Once they realized how awesome that is, their little faces were nothing short of determined. As well as worn out! Next, water balloon tossing. Again, what fun is in that? Well once the first one dropped and water got all over him, they were all ready for the next. And the next, and the next, and the next until it was an all out water balloon war! After dinner was the ultimate male bonding experience-Play Station 2. All seven (plus Colin and Jason) were glued to the screen for the next two hours. They would all dance to the music and cheer whoever was playing on. I'm pretty sure they didn't actually understand what was going on but it was still funny to watch.
Friday we picked up the girls and headed to the pool. Well, we headed there after we went to HillCrest (a local missionary school) to play outside because it was very overcast. All I can really say about the pool is I have never seen so many kids terrified of water. At one point almost every kid was hanging onto an adult or the side of the pool. Once they realized they could touch the ground it was a little less hectic. Except then the hypothermia set in. Not really but they were all freezing and shivering so the end of the day consisted of me rubbing more than one down with a towel until they were warmed up. Even though it was like HOT outside and the sun was shining, just the water was enough to chill them all the way through.
The week was filled with more smiles and laughter than I could have ever wished for. I will always remember the children here and the joy they brought to my heart.

No comments: