Friday, July 18, 2008

One Week Gone...



Well this past week hasn't been exactly what I anticipated. First of all, on Saturday Colin and I went on a medical outreach with Bola (who we went to Benin City with) and that was too awesome for words. We drove about an hour and a half north of Jos, first on highway then on dirt road, into what looked like a huge cornfield. Come to find out there were little huts hidden in the corn and we were at the village! We went into the day not having any idea of what we were doing. Bola and his wife Queen have started an organization that reaches out to villages through medical needs and also brings the love of Jesus along. This was their first outreach and I was honored to be included. There were about 40 other college students, from the University of Jos, who were all mostly medical. It was so fun to see such a humble effort on everyone's part to bring healing to these people. We all filed into the chapel when we first got there to get a plan of action and pray for the day. I have never in my life witnessed prayer like this, literally everyone on their feet, praying out loud as loud as they could, with the preacher reading the Bible over everyone. Just thinking about it again gives me chills all over! We also sang a hymn and heard a short message of encouragement which really made all of focus on our main goal-to spread the love of Christ. After we left the chapel we lugged the benches along into the middle of more corn where the school was. Then a pouring of women and children came from all around and filled up the benches, which we had put under a tree. Bola lectured on basic hygeine like wash your hands after you use the bathroom, and cover your food so flies don't get in it. He also talked a little on HIV/AIDS and the need to live a pure lifestyle. For the most part I think everyone was very receptive. While he was talking the students were divided up into four groups-medical, counseling, giving, and prayer. Unfortunately, Colin and I could do little because they could only speak Hausa but it was still awesome to be there.
I'm pretty sure all the kids were terrified of us because they would just stand in groups and stare. Then we would try and get them to slap our hands and a few brave ones did but for the most part they just looked at us. Bola took Queen, Colin, some missionaries, and I to the chief's house and speak with him which was cool too. He is a believer and we encouraged him to set a good example for his village. He was more than grateful to have to Americans witness his village and was excited to be receiving help from the rest of Nigeria. Along the way, we also got to stop and console a grieving family who had just lost their daughter. The father (I am guessing) was very open to us being there and right then and there, in Hausa of course, he accepted Jesus as his personal savior. It was so cool to see this old man who could hardly hear, give his life to Christ. His friend also accepted the invitation and tears rolled down my face as I watched these two men humbly accept the gift we told them about. Colin got to pray for one of them and I urge you to pray also that these men will continue to grow in their new faith.
It was an amazing experience to not only see a village but see the Lord move through the entire place. The rest of the week was not nearly as exciting, mostly because I have been in bed for the majority of it. The two days I was well I got to go to the Spring of Life house. They offer counseling and care for HIV/AIDS victims. This week turned out to be their training for counselors so I got to sit in on that. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't interact with people but it still opened my mind to things I hadn't learned before. Please pray for the remaining weeks here in Nigeria. Pray that our health would be nothing but good (Colin also got sick this week) and that everyone we encounter from here on out would be touched by the love and grace of the Lord.

No comments: