Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Little Things

So I survived one week at the school and I'm still alive to tell about it. And the best part about it is that I can proudly give credit where it is due-my Creator. I found myself frustrated as we started our work at EMS thinking that I was going to have little or no impact. But of course, God had bigger plans for my time there. My frustration with the lack of organization and structure to the kids education brought just what was needed-organization and learning. One day the teacher and I graded every single test and recorded the grades on each child's progress report card. While we were doing that all of the kids went through all the Pace packets and glued missing pages in as well as sort them within their categories. I was in organizational heaven and realized that my willingness to help may have been exactly what the teacher needed-someone to do the work with her. I see now that her view of the classroom was that of an unbearable sense of being overwhelmed and in a way, God brought me in to 'hold her hand' and work through the piles of disorder. While we were busy grading and recording she began to open up a bit to me. I learned that her daughter, Hope (also my name), is in the class which is one reason she is so hard on her-so it doesn't appear that she is giving her a break. After talking for a bit she invited me to dinner at her house once school is over and I sat in amazement realizing why God had put me in that classroom-for her! As we left that day I just felt thought, "Duh Britt! This teacher just needed some good company and an extra set of hands to finish the work. That's why you're here!"




The children at the school are so sweet and besides helping in the classroom I have enjoyed just being around them. Their curiosty about white people and America is so funny and I really enjoyed answering their questions. "Aunty! What is the meaning of this?", one little girl asked while pointing to my braces. I can't tell you how many children asked me that and I would just smile and tell them all about the meaning of braces. As well as contact lenses, sunglasses (just about every girl in my class tried them on), the brain, Kentucky, and my hair. The girls just couldn't understand why I didn't plat it (braid it to my head) and why if I cut my hair it could be so long.


On Friday I brought my box of goodies to keep them occupied and I have never seen so many little hands reaching out in front of me! Most of the stuff I just gave to my teacher-pencils, notepads, bookmarks, stickers, and sticky things to hang stuff on the wall. She was a little more excited than the kids about some of it and especially grateful that, "The classroom will be so colorful now!" One of the notepads I brought had pictures of the planets on it and she had the class write ten things about creation on the back of their page (I handed out one to everybody) and then draw pictures of what they had listed. It was so cute because once they were done they would bring it up to me and I would help them hang their work at their desk, proudly on display for all to see. We also got to make 'Jesus bracelets' which was a hit with the entire school, not just my classroom. I got to stand in front of the class and tell them what each bead meant. I wrote on the board: Black-We are all black with sin, Red-Jesus blood saved us from our sin, Blue-We were washed clean by the blood, White-To be made white as snow, Green-So we could grow in Christ and live forever with Him, Gold-To walk the streets of gold in Heaven. As I finished I saw some kids writing it down and my heart was bursting with happiness because not only had I helped the teacher with her needs, I also got to share Jesus' love with every child there! And here I thought I wouldn't be able to make an impact on their lives. Something so simple and little as a bracelet brought the truth and joy of Jesus into their lives. God is so good!
Another wonderful blessing has been some fellow Americans we met here. They are from Cincinnati and the couple that runs the ministry lives here in Jos and hosts different teams and interns throughout the year. We ran into them at a restaraunt downtown when we first arrived and Colin was smart enough to get their phone number (although I'm pretty sure it was just because there were some pretty cute girls at dinner! Haha) They invited us for dinner with them one night and I was pretty sure I had died and gone to heaven-we had buffalo chicken wraps and brownies! YUM! After eating just rice the night before, and just noodles the night before that, we were more than grateful for a well cooked meal. It was also a complete answer to prayer because I think Colin and I were both getting a little lonely and bored of just each other. No offense to him but sometimes a girl just needs some other girls to giggle with. And after two nights in a row playing Catch Phrase, I am feeling quite happy and giggled out. We even got to meet some of their friends here (also American) staying at the Baptist Hostel for a Fourth of July cookout. The company and food were the perfect boost of energy for the weeks to come.
Please continue to pray for good fellowship during the coming weeks. I am infinitely grateful to those that have been praying for my time here and to the One who answers prayers. As far as I know we will continue our work at the school next week, however, we may begin work at Evangel Hospital. Please pray for continued blessings to those we come in contact with and that all of our work would point to the Lord at all times.
I will end with sharing something that Jonathan (our guest house attendant) said the other night. "If you simply worship God with all your heart, then serving will come naturally. It won't seem like a task at all and in turn you will want to worship Him all the more."

No comments: